July 2014 AELE Studies
You can view this bulletin in color, with live links, at http://www.aele.org/alert-email.html
1. New article: A Rational Foundation for Use of Force Policy, Training and Assessment. (recommended reading)
View at http://www.aele.org/START.pdf
2. Congressional research report: Body Armor for Law Enforcement Officers (May 2014).
3. New AELE Monthly Law Journal article: Civil Liability and Dead Bodies.
The article examines court rulings in cases involving the identification of bodies, the handling of bodies, and privacy issues, such as the dissemination of photos or videos of dead bodies and autopsies, and highlights some of the lawsuits that led to substantial damage awards.
4. The July 2014 issues of AELE’s three periodicals have been uploaded.
The current issues, back issues since 2000, case digests since 1975, and a search engine are FREE. Everyone is welcome to read, print or download AELE publications without charge. The main menu is at: http://www.aele.org/law
*** Law Enforcement Liability Reporter ***
This issue has cases on qualified immunity, dogs, ECWs (dart mode), firearms related, First Amendment, training injuries, racial discrimination, search & seizure, and video by citizens.
*** Fire, Police & Corrections Personnel Reporter ***
This issue has cases on duty to bargain, disciplinary punishment, FMLA leave, injuries to trainees, pensions, racial discrimination, religious discrimination, retaliatory personnel action and workers compensation.
*** Jail and Prisoner Law Bulletin ***
This issue has cases on chemical agents, ECWs (stun mode), First Amendment, medical care, prison & jail conditions, PLRA consent decrees, exhaustion of remedies, prisoner assault, religion, suicide, and sexual assault.
5. Selected criminal law and procedure cases are at two other free websites.
You are welcome to share this information; please encourage your colleagues to sign up for periodic mailings at http://www.aele.org/e-signup.html We don’t insert commercial messages or sell your e-addresses.
AELE is an extraordinary and unique resource, with free publications and online back issues since 2000. AELE has a searchable library of more than 35,000 case digests organized into 700 + indexed topics. There are no advertisements, tracking “cookies” or popups on our website. Users do not have to preregister and there is no time limit on research sessions. Contents of our online law library may be copied & pasted, saved or printed (except for commercial purposes).
AELE has a free search tool covering our database of more than 35,000 case summaries, since 1975.
We also have three menus of the more than 35,000 case summaries, divided into 700 + topics.
1. Law enforcement civil liability at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/civilmenu.html
2. Employment law and discipline at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/emplmenu.html
3. Jail and prisoner legal issues at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/jailmenu.html